I am sure all of you would agree with me that retail is a difficult industry. (No duh, right?). The outbreak of COVID-19 is not helping and retail isn’t the only impacted industry.
As humans, we have a tendency to worry about things we have no control over. (Guilty!) I want to share my personal thoughts about how we can choose to respond differently to the current situation.
For all of us:
- Wash your hands with soap, a lot. Don’t worry if antibac is sold out, soap is readily available. USE IT!
- Wipe down the steering wheel of your car with bleach wipes.
- Remove your shoes when you get home. Don’t track the outside yuck inside your home.
- Be smart…if you don’t feel well, stay home.
- If you are out, use the hand sanitizer that everyone is putting out (from coffee houses to churches, everyone is adding stations)
- Clean every surface in your store with bleach wipes; don’t forget about the fitting rooms and bathrooms.
- Put hand sanitizer at the cash wrap
- Your may have less traffic walking in, but you should be converting every customer. During times like these, the “just looking” customers reduces and is replaced with customers with a specific need.
- There is nothing more important than engaging each customer. Let them know what steps you are taking to keep the store germ free. Show empathy…many are more than stressed, they are afraid.
- Look customers in the eye and ask them what you can do to help them.
- Be creative: Perhaps you can offer customers to call your store with what they need/want and you will ring them up, package it up and bring it out to their car. (This is an example, might not work for everyone but thinking creatively is key)
We choose our response to this situation. Let’s get out there and LEAD with positivity, empathy, love, care, concern for our teams, our customers, our families, our neighbors. Don’t allow yourself to get pulled into the panic.
One thought on “Keep Calm & Love your Customers”